Less in a World of More.


I feel a huge burden in my heart to become a minimalist. 
Yes, m i n i m a l i s t.

A minimalist, if you don't know, is someone who lives with only what they need, and very very few wants. There are different kinds of minimalists; those who only own 100 items, those who only live out of a backpack, and those who simply get rid of the stuff in their lives. We all have stuff; nick knacks, clothes we never wear, bottles upon bottles of nail polish and cosmetics, and things that have no name and no place in your home at all so they simply sit in the corner, on the desk, in the closet, and under the bed.

I believe this burden in my heart is from God. Whether it actually is or not does not matter, because I am doing this for His glory. I think that as Americans there are so many things that are in the way of God's voice, God's presence, and God's will, and those things are the stuff in our lives. Those things steal our attention away from God and to this consumerist world that we, as Westerners and Americans, are born into. Simply put, it's WORLDLY. 

Having stuff means we're turning from God and saying "Yes" to the world of sales, holiday shopping, bigger is better, and "you need this", when in reality it's a want. I truly believe that living in abundance (more than what you need) is a sin, because if we are looking to fulfill fleshly desires, we are not looking to help the least of these. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe in treating oneself, entertainment, vacations, etc... but when we spend more money and acquire more stuff in our homes than we are helping God's people, we're doing a huge disservice as sons and daughters of Christ.

  • Give to the poor. "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Matthew 19:21
  • Deny yourself. "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." Matthew 16:24 // You cannot pick up your cross if you have a bunch of stuff. Deny those impulses!
  • Only He can give life abundantly, not things.
  • "He who delights in the possession of the Lord Jesus has all that heart can wish." Charles Spurgeon
My journey towards minimalism is sure to be a tough one, and a long one. I will occasionally put up challenges for myself, and you if you'd like to join in, to walk in spiritual freedom of having less and living more for Christ.

This is a great video to learn more about minimalism and the Christian faith: "Minimalism, Spirituality, and Why it Matters" by Joshua Becker 

Until next time, be blessed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment