I made this video spur of the moment although it has been on my heart for awhile. I know there are other girls out there who struggle with low self esteem. I've come to the conclusion that most of my friends believe that I am very confident person. The truth is that I wore make up and took a lot of pictures to post on Facebook and Tumblr, to help myself realize that I am beautiful...even if I had to fake it. Well I'm done faking it. I'm done feeling like I have to live up to even my own standard of beauty. No, I'm not pointing the finger at the media. It's all an internal struggle that I'm asking God to help me with. And no, I'm not calling myself ugly. Even I know that would be a lie coming from the devil. It's all about acceptance, and I'm finally being able to accept me for who I really am and what I really look like. And if you know me in real life, you know that taking my glasses off is a big deal!

"All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you." -Song of Solomon 4:7

4 comments:

  1. Shelby, you ARE beautiful with or without make-up, glasses, your hair done, etc. I have always thought you were a beautiful young woman, and you have never failed at showing that not only through your wonderfully blessed personality but also through your warm and kind heart. This video brought tears to my eyes, and it gave me a newly found respect for you to see you open up to the whole internet world about your darkest secret. Now, everyone (myself included) will feel that much closer to you. You're right when you say you're not alone; I have insecurities myself. And watching this video helped me realize that I am beautiful.

    I love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way. I wouldnt DARE take my glasses off in public! I can def. relate to having those internal struggles. I was confident yet insecure all at the same time. & I still find myself second-guessing myself but we're all works in progress.

    & like she stated above, you really are beautiful.

    xo,
    jas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely brought tears to my eyes. I've been following you for a while now and I can truly say that you are beautiful like the previous ladies mentioned. This video only confirms that. I use to be so insecure with myself and still am a little but then I made up my mind that I am beautiful. Who is to say what beauty truly is? Continue to be the beautiful God fearing woman that you are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of your posts remind me of myself , where I was just a year & a half ago . I was insecure about my hair , my legs , my feet , my butt , my fingers , my eyebrows . It's crazy how as young ladies , we develop insecurities & low self esteem ; then we are left to figure out how to deal with them or cope. More times than often, we take the 'alone' route, sinking deeper & deeper into those feelings of self loathe. Being someone who has dealt with it so hard to the point that I wanted to take my own life, I can say you are on the road to self acceptance and confidence. It starts with acknowledgment, then taking it to God. Without him, his love, & me understanding who I am in Christ, I would've taken my life or I'd be a broken & bitter individual today. I pray you stay encouraged & continue to trust in HIM . Keep sharing your story/stories. They need to be heard.

    Psalm 139:14
    " I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made "

    ReplyDelete