i'm kissing dating goodbye.

The joy of intimacy is the reward of commitment.

"I Kissed Dating Goodbye" by Joshua Harris is the first book I'm getting next.

When I initially tweeted about it, everyone took it as a bad thing. They took it as if I were giving up on love and marriage. It's actually the exact opposite. Kissing dating goodbye means that you realize that love isn't the concept man have made it to be. There's timing, there are relationships with ourselves that we need to build, but most importantly, our relationship with God.

The book isn't about dating, but living your life for God.

The message is to not pursue romance until you're ready for love. We must find out what God defines as true love and purity. In general, Harris believes that dating has become too inwardly focused. He feels that people date to find "their" mate according to their own principles, rules, and desires.

Seven habits of highly defective dating:1. Dating tends to skip the friendship stage of a relationship2. Dating often mistakes a physical relationship as love3. Dating often isolates a couple from other vital relationships4. Dating can distract young adults from their primary responsibility of preparing for the future.5. Dating can cause discontentment with God’s gift of singleness6, Dating can create an artificial environment for evaluating another person’s character.7. Dating often becomes an end in itself.
Five ways to avoid the above seven pitfalls of dating:1. Every relationship is an opportunity to model Christ’s love.2. My unmarried years are a gift from God.3. I don’t need to pursue a romantic relationship before I’m ready for marriage.4. I cannot “own” someone outside of marriage.5. I will avoid situations that could compromise the purity of my body or my mind.

 Here are a few quotes:
"The world takes us to a silver screen on which flickering images of passion andromance play, and as we watch, the world says, “This is love.” God takes us tothe foot of a tree on which a naked and bloodied man hangs and says, “This islove.”
 "Choosing to quit the dating game doesn't mean rejecting friendship with theopposite sex, companionship, romance, or marriage. We can still pursue thosethings, we just choose to pursue them on God’s terms and in his time."
 I believe this is certainly a good read. :)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally just requested this book! if i finish it, i'll let you know how it is!

    ReplyDelete