ghet·to (n)

The term ghetto is a place Jews were forced to live by law in the Middle Ages. During the Holocaust. the Nazis revived the ghettos for Jews and Romani to stay until they were shipped to concentration camps. The ghettos were slums or crowed rundown "towns" or areas. As you can see the term ghetto is a place.


I would like to take note on how the word is used now:
  • "Look how she talks, you know she ghetto."
  • "Those earrings are so ghetto."

The ignorance to the word actually irritates me now, don't get me wrong, I too am a victim of misusing the word. People or things cannot be places. It's funny how people try to make others feel low, as if they're inadequate yet their bliss is in ignorance.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!

    Ghetto is simply a noun, not an adjective. Therefore, it cannot be used to describe anything.. SMH.

    GEEZ, people use it all the time, and it's annoying. They think it's cool to be ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone's going to be a little ignorant to something - no matter how educated they are. One cannot simply know EVERYTHING. Plenty of nouns are used as adjectives in the English language, however... You can look in a dictionary if you want examples of a few. I know the word "ghetto" is a place... but I'm still guilty of saying that something looks "ghetto." I can't help it... I just grew up speaking ignorantly before I got an education.

    ReplyDelete