Relationships.

A friend of mine on facebook had a status saying "Relationships are overrated..." and to my surprise 22 people liked it!

I'm confused as to how 22 people who are 18 years old and under can feel that way. I'm also confused as to what's overrated about it. What has been said about relationships that aren't falling through for them?

I commented saying that only people who haven't been in relationships, have been in bad ones or have been in good ones that didn't last can say that. I should have said that those who don't have hope can say that. I've been in plenty bad relationships and I'm only 17. And after every one I've never thought of relationships to be overrated or a bad thing, I just know that that person wasn't right for me, that I was too young, things of that sort.

For teens to think that is quite upsetting because you haven't even graduated from high school yet and you feel this way about what I think is a beautiful thing. Having someone always on your side, someone to always talk to, someone to lift your spirits, and possibly someone to love is such a beautiful thing. I thought that mindset didn't start until you're like 35 and you realize you're all alone and have no one to come home to at night besides your 4 kitty's.

Wait-these are teens I'm talking about. More than likely they feel relationships are overrated because they are going to college in the fall or next year and they don't want to be tied down or worried about what the other is doing while they are away. Maybe it's because they enjoy the single life.

Either way. I dislike that saying and not because I'm in a relationship. If this were the 1930s (and black women were accepted by society) I would love to be married at 20 and be a stay at home wife like the women in Mona Lisa Smile, who felt it was their God given duty to be mothers and wives.

Ok I'm off topic...

4 comments:

  1. agreed. i hate when people are all about hating relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the whole mona lisa concept you just said is EXACTLY how i feel. Thats all i want to be, the best mother, and the best wife, my boyfriend knows it, and he loves me no less, unlike a lot of guys out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I've been through all kind of positive and negative relationships, but I still don't think it's overrated. If anything, I think friendship is overrated... but I guess I'm gonna need to reevaluate myself on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. because those 22 people ARE 18 years and younger and are probably involved/have been involved/chasing BAD relationships...not saying bad relationships are exclusive to 18 year olds, but USUALLY those who hate love/relationships have never genuinely had a REAL one, regardless of what they think

    ReplyDelete