"Tell em you aint superwoman, baby"

     Sometimes at work we could be over staffed and it turns out to become a really slow day causing a few employees to go home. Other days we could be severely under staffed yet it becomes surprisingly busy and there is no way for us to call people in therefore we have to make due. This particular day it was the latter. The concession stand is like an island in the middle of the lobby; If I'm facing one register than the other is directly behind me. Suddenly a wave of people were at both registers and I was the only one back there. I had to make it work going from register to register so that it would be a little fair and also give people a chance to settle on their final order.
     I was exhausted, tired, and upset that I had to do it all by myself. It wasn't like it was the first time but it doesn't have to be the first, no one gets used to being overworked and underpaid. Just before finishing up an order I hear, "Tell em you aint superwoman, baby. You aint got a 'S' on your chest." The petite lady looked at me and smiled while she made herself comfortable on the counter while fanning herself with her hand.  I just smiled as she waited for me to finished up the last order and take hers.
     That was all it took for me to instantly feel like the weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. Sometimes that's all we ever really need, is someone to tell us it's okay and it'll be alright. To feel like we have to conform to what others want us to become is absolutely absurd in the matter that putting too much pressure on one individual could possibly cause damage that was never intended. No one should ever have to feel like their best wasn't good enough for anyone's standards, including their own. We all could just use a break.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%, Shelburrss. I also admire you for sticking through it. Don't ever let them push you beyond your limits... Just stay positive, stay strong, and stay beautiful. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess! I love this and you are right, just never forget HOW STRONG you are and yes your are superwomen, I tell myself that EVERY day but I'm superwomen for myself and my son, not the rest of the world! <3

    ReplyDelete