With the stars.

For the record, I do not smoke nor do I plan to. Just thought I'd share what Obama's reason was for getting high. I'm still not sure about his words, although they are put together very well from such an articulate man. How is his reason the opposite from others? As much as I seem down, not once has smoking pot crossed my mind so that I could "laugh at the world’s ongoing folly". . . I love these words but at the same time, I hate them.
I got high for just the opposite effect, something that could push questions of who I was out of my mind, something that could flatten out the landscape of my heart, blur the edges of my memory. I had discovered that it didn’t make any difference whether you smoked reefer in the white classmate’s sparkling new van, or in the dorm room of some brother you’d met down at the gym, or on the beach with a couple of Hawaiian kids who had dropped out of school and now spent most of their time looking for an excuse to brawl. You might just be bored, or alone. Everybody was welcome into the club of disaffection. And if the high didn’t solve whatever it was that was getting you down, it could at least help you laugh at the world’s ongoing folly and see through all the hypocrisy and bullshit and cheap moralism.
-Barack Obama

 "Everybody was welcome into the club of disaffection."

1 comment:

  1. I honestly lit my first blunt after my ex broke up with me, to escape my own thoughts...that slowly turned to smoking socially...these days i only smoke when im genuinely bored

    ReplyDelete